Aspects of this project:
The Historic Eagle Mill is a former paper mill situated on the banks of the Fox River in the heart of Downtown Kaukauna. As co-developer, Horizon assisted in the restoration and repurposing of the historic building to accommodate three levels of commercial rentable space. The 81,250 square foot project will preserve the historic integrity of the mill while repurposing the space for a multi-use, sustainable destination that provides both function and character. The building improvements will include a new roof, new NPS-approved window systems, exterior masonry restoration, new interior walls and doors, insulation, efficient bathrooms, new elevators, fire protection, new electrical, plumbing, and mechanical systems. The project was financed by tax increment financing, conventional permanent financing, federal historic tax credits, Wisconsin historic tax credits, and private equity. Following the renovation, the Kaukauna Public Library moved into this new home.
According to library leadership, the benefits of the move can be observed through increased use of library services and community status.
- The new Library facility has clearly been responsible for the increases in service indicators.
- Even a year after opening statistics still show services to be holding steady or increasing
- The new facility and the corresponding increase in services provided has also given the Library a higher prominence among local libraries and our Library System.
- The new facility has addressed a need in the community and has invigorated library usage in the City.
- It has also created attention to the City and drawn people to it from local communities.